Capital Allowances in pictures

Sometimes it’s easier to follow how a piece of legislation works visually rather than in words so we thought we’d revisit our Capital Allowances infographic.

Joint tenants v tenants in common

When it comes to owning property jointly you can opt for either being either joint tenants or tenants in common. You might be tempted to ask ‘does it really matter’? Well in our opinion it does.

Stamp duty land tax on non-residential properties

Stamp duty land tax (SDLT) is payable in England and Northern Ireland on the purchase of property over a certain price. It applies equally to residential and non-residential properties, although the rates are different.

Nominating your main residence

Private residence relief shelters a gain on the sale of a residence from capital gains tax while the property has been the owner’s only or main residence.

Annual tax on enveloped dwellings

The annual tax on enveloped dwellings (ATED) is a tax that applies, in the main, to companies owning residential property which is valued at more than £500,000.

Furnished holiday lettings and tax

When it comes to taxing rental income, not all properties are equal. Different rules apply to properties which meet the definition of ‘furnished holiday lettings’.

Claiming a deduction for pre-letting expenses

For tax purposes, a property rental business begins when the first property is let. However, it is likely that the landlord will have incurred some expenses prior to that date in getting the property ready to let and in finding a tenant and agreeing the let. Once the letting has commenced, expenses incurred in relation […]


Call us on 0115 778 8533 for a free consultation.